So, tonight I decided we’re having chicken. Chicky tits are generally pretty flavorless (thank you, Catherynne Valente), but if you subject them to curry, or batter and a deep-fryer, they’re pretty palatable. Tonight, however, I didn’t want to go to all that effort to render what usually amounts to a “kindergarden eraser” edible, so I bought and roasted a whole chicken.

First, I spatchcocked the bird. Well, actually, first I set the oven to preheat to 375. Then I spatchcocked the bird. This involved a few minutes of wrestling with the bird’s spine and a pair of scissors, before I finally just grabbed the backbone and (rather messily) ripped it out. After that, I promptly flipped it on its back, splayed, and pressed my (not inconsiderable) weight down on the sternum until that snapped in twain and the bird lay flat on the cutting board. I splashed some olive oil in my larger cast iron pan (since I don’t have a mister), and spread it around a bit. Once the pan was coated, I plopped the chicken, breast up, in the pan, then tucked the backbone under the legs.

I ground up some rosemary and a ‘Garlic & Herb’ mix that Angel has in my little stone mortar. After dribbling and spreading olive oil all over the bird, I spread the herb mixture on the bird and rubbed it in. Apparently, I didn’t rub it in well enough, ’cause when I splashed a healthy couple of glugs of white wine over the bird, it carried off a fair bit of the herbs.

After covering the pan with aluminum foil, I popped it in the oven. Since I was referencing this recipe, I figured 9 minutes per pound would work out okay, and promptly set the oven for just shy of an hour for the ~6.5-pound chicken. When the timer when off, I removed the foil, took a good, healthy whiff of a wonderful scent, and then set the timer for another 15 minutes. I let the bird rest on the cutting board for about ten minutes before I had at it with my cutlery. (I really, really need to get a proper carving knife; perhaps that will be my Bir-Hanu-Mas present to myself.)

It was most yum – needed a pinch of salt and some more pepper ground on it, but it came out rather well. I needed to cook the legs and thighs a little longer; I think 20 minutes after uncovering will work well enough, or perhaps 10 minutes per pound  instead of 9, but a brief stint in the nuke fixed up the legs enough that I could enjoy them. Tomorrow morning, I’m dumping the pan drippings, the backbone, the wingtips and the remainder of the carcass into the stockpot with a bunch of water and some veg – perhaps I’ll be able to turn out a decent stock from this, too!

And, pix or it didn’t happen:

Not bland and tasteless!